Sleeping Arrangements

Donna Orwin donna.orwin at UTORONTO.CA
Tue Jan 9 17:14:40 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

One of my students has asked me about the sleeping arrangements for
married couples among high society Russians in the nineteenth century.
Do they share the same bedroom and bed, or do they tend to have their
own rooms, with the husband visiting the wife for conjugal relations?
Do the arrangements change as the century goes on, and do different
classes have different rules?  Different works of fiction seem to differ
on this point.  Where in the house or apartment do lovers meet and sin
when the husband is not home?  Has anyone written about this subject?

Sincerely, and thanks in advance for the information,

Donna Orwin

Prof. Donna Tussing Orwin
President, Tolstoy Society
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Toronto
Alumni Hall 415
121 St. Joseph St.
Toronto. ON M5S 1J4