translation query: 1950s Soviet usage

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Jan 9 17:56:53 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGers,
I'm posting the following inquiry on behalf of a historian colleague.
Please feel free to reply to the list or to Professor Roth-Ey directly,
as you deem appropriate.  Her email address is krothey at yahoo.com .

The substance of the query:
The following is an excerpt from a 1956 article by Igor Il'inskii (the
comedian) in Literaturnaia gazeta, wherein he browbeats his fellow
artists for snubbing television.  He writes:
"Takaia pozitsiia predstavlaetsia mne antigosudarstvennoi. Davaite
rukovodstvovat'sia soobrazheniiami tvorcheskimi, ideinymi, a ne odnoi
tol'ko zabotei o povyshenii sborov. Ved' my delaem odno i to zhe delo.
Kak zhe mozhno davat' narodu vmesto luchshikh -- khudshie obraztsy
iskusstva, stalo byt', rasprostraniat' ikh na gigantskuiu auditoriiu. I
kto my, v kontse kontsov, --komersanty ili politiki?* *Ia ubezhden, shto
televidenie nikogda ne zaimet mesta teatra..."
**
The question concerns the use of the term "politiki" here.  In 1956, is
it probable that the term only refers to "Western" or "Western-style"
politicians?  Should a responsible translation render the word not just
as "politicians" but as "Western-style [or some other adjective]
politicians"?   For scholarly purposes, the translation
needs to convey the nuance of what Il'inskii means here.

All expert opinions will be appreciated!
Thanks,
RJS