Kundera article (cont.)

colkitto@rogers.com colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Fri Jan 12 16:17:51 UTC 2007

One can go even further west.  In Wales many people point out that Wales
was the only part of the Roman Empire not to be overrun by barbarians, and
they view the Saxons to the East as examples of the said "barbarians."

Slavoj Zizek once noted that almost every country in Europe has
traditionally perceived itself as the outpost of the civilized "West"
bordering with oriental barbarians on the East. Indeed, to extend Zizek's
examples, in their own self-conception Great Britain is, of course, more
civilized than continental Europe, France has to defend European values
against barbarian oriental Germany, Slovenia is an outpost of the West
against the oriental orthodox Serbia, Germans, of course, regard countries
like Slovenia or Poland as essentially Eastern, Poland sees itself as the
desperate defender of civilization against the barbarian pressure of the
oriental Russian Empire, Ukraine is, as we know, part of Europe, unlike its
oriental neighbor on the East, and Russia more often than not perceived
itself as the essentially Western country protecting Europe from the attacks
of Mongolian hordes and exporting European civilization to Central Asia et
al. So, I believe Kundera's article is just another instance of the same
speculative way of thinking, made more urgent by the struggle of the new
members of the EU not to be regarded second-rate compared with the EU's
older members.

Andrey Shcherbenok
Columbia University