Kundera article (cont.)

Marc Adler marc at ADLERPACIFIC.COM
Fri Jan 12 16:37:26 UTC 2007

Alina Israeli(e)k dio:
> I don't know these French translations nor Mr. Kundera's reasons for
> certifying them, but I'd like to open another can of worms:
>
> Wouldn't some list members agree that Pasternak's translations are
> con-genius to the original and works of art in and of themselves
> (Shakespeare and Goethe, for ex)? The same could be said of Lozinsky's
> translations, of Cola Brugnon, for example. I could find a few more
> amazing translators: Rita Rajt-Kovaleva, Golyshev, Ljubimov and others,
> of course.

That's an interesting question, but it's different from what I'm getting
at, which is that in Kundera's case, the author himself is saying the
translation is just as "good" as the original. Note that he didn't say
certify the translations as "good." By certifying their literary value,
he's saying that the original Czech had nothing in it that couldn't be
replaced by a French translation. Does he think so little of his native
language? That's what perplexes me. (This is also aside from the
question of whether originals have the inherent literary value of
authenticity.)

--
Marc Adler
marc at adlerpacific.com