Kundera article (cont.)

Katerina King kpking at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Fri Jan 12 16:40:21 UTC 2007

Finally a post that gets to the crux. Thank you! I think Kundera's
article is not about where Czech literature should be but about Kundera
trying to position *himself* as a Western, (not Slavic!) writer, for now
and for posterity. This is nothing new or surprising; he's been riding
that hobby-horse for many years. It is also, if I may, a typically Czech
stance. We hate to be grouped with Russians after the many humiliations
of the post 1948 era. But this was not always the case in Czech history.
Are there cultural similarities between us and other Slavs? Of course
there are! And kicking and screaming, in French or otherwise, won't make
that fact go away.

Sincerely,

Katya King

On 1/12/2007 10:53 AM, Andrey Shcherbenok wrote:
> Slavoj Zizek once noted that almost every country in Europe has
> traditionally perceived itself as the outpost of the civilized "West"
> bordering with oriental barbarians on the East. Indeed, to extend Zizek's
> examples, in their own self-conception Great Britain is, of course, more
> civilized than continental Europe, France has to defend European values
> against barbarian oriental Germany, Slovenia is an outpost of the West
> against the oriental orthodox Serbia, Germans, of course, regard countries
> like Slovenia or Poland as essentially Eastern, Poland sees itself as the
> desperate defender of civilization against the barbarian pressure of the
> oriental Russian Empire, Ukraine is, as we know, part of Europe, unlike its
> oriental neighbor on the East, and Russia more often than not perceived
> itself as the essentially Western country protecting Europe from the attacks
> of Mongolian hordes and exporting European civilization to Central Asia et
> al. So, I believe Kundera's article is just another instance of the same
> speculative way of thinking, made more urgent by the struggle of the new
> members of the EU not to be regarded second-rate compared with the EU's
> older members.
>
> Andrey Shcherbenok
> Columbia University

Katerina P. King, Ph.D.
Director for Graduate and Professional School Advising
Career Development Center
Mount Holyoke College
50 College Street
South Hadley, MA 01075-1456
Tel. (413)538-2080  Fax. (413)538-2081
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/cdc/5187.shtml

***
There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked
long.
- Louisa May Alcott