Kundera article (cont.)

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Jan 12 16:43:19 UTC 2007

________________________________

Alina Israeli wrote:

Wouldn't some list members agree that Pasternak's translations are
con-genius to the original and works of art in and of themselves
(Shakespeare and Goethe, for ex)? The same could be said of
Lozinsky's translations, of Cola Brugnon, for example. I could find a
few more amazing translators: Rita Rajt-Kovaleva, Golyshev, Ljubimov
and others, of course.

This happens often into English as well. And in the context of the comment, let me plug the oldest extant Master in Fine Arts program in literary translation in the U.S., a three-year arts degree that originated in the Writer's Workshop at the University of Iowa and now exists alongside the MFAs in Ficiton, Poetry, Non-fiction, and Playwriting, as well as the International Writing Program, whose alumni include Tomaz Salamun, Viktor Pelevin, Dubravka Ugresic, and a host of others form around the world. Good translation is good writing.

Take a look at how all this works together here: http://www.writinguniversity.org/.

Russell Valentino