FW: Kundera article (cont.)

Sergey Glebov sglebov at SMITH.EDU
Fri Jan 12 17:16:57 UTC 2007

Dear Alexandra,

Eurasianists would actually argue otherwise: they would say Russia-Eurasia
completely lacked Western notions of civilizing mission and was an organic
unity of Slavic and "Turanian" elements. In contrast, most Russian
historical writing, with minor exceptions, represented Russia as an outpost
of Christian Europe against Asia. Such was the famous view of Kliuchevsky,
for example: Muscovy created a powerful state, "thus saving the European
culture from the strikes by the Tatars. In this way we became the
arrière-garde of Europe, we guarded the rear of European civilization. But
the guard’s service is often forgotten, especially when it is well-done..."
The Eurasianists, in fact, would say something similar to what Kundera
spelled out: there is a historical border between the Western Slavs and the
Eastern ones. It's actually interesting that Roman Jakobson referred to the
Czechs loosing "miagkost' soglasnykh" under the German influence as a sign
of their difference (recalling Jan Hus!) in his book on the Eurasian
language union.

I fully subscribe to Andrey Scherbenok's view. What strikes me is how
essentialist is Kundera's perception of "East" and "West" and how much his
rhetoric of orientalizing the Russians (and by default Ukrainians and
Belarusians, I suppose) reminds one of a classic WestCiv narrative of 50
years ago or so.
Having said that, I also do not see any point in claiming that there indeed
exists any common "Slavic culture." But there is also no point in denying
that Central AND Eastern Europe shared a lot of historical experiences:
belated modernization, late survival of serfdom, belonging to multiethnic
and dynastic empires of the Habsburgs, the Hohenzollerns, the Romanovs and
the Ottomans, often "incomplete" social structure of national movements,
common experiences of highly authoritarian regimes in the interwar period
(with the single exception of Czechoslovakia), and the most recent
experiences of Soviet-style Communism. Some of these are definitely tragic
historical experiences, to say the least, but it is naïve to deny them a
commonality in CEE...

My apologies for this historical intervention into a philological and
linguistic debate.

Kind regards,

Sergey Glebov