Kundera (cont.)/Eurasianists

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Sat Jan 13 09:33:18 UTC 2007

Dear Sergey,

Thank you very much for your informative response to my comments
regards Andrey's views related to Kundera, Russian identity, etc. I've
meant to say that the emphasis on the pivotal role of Mongols in the
course of Russian history appears to have some Eurasianist overtones
or rather evocative of some Eurasianist tenets...
Since you wrote your PhD thesis on Eurasianists,it would be
interesting to know whether you agree with Halperin's statement
(expressed in his article on Vernadsky, Slavic Review, 41, vol.3,
autumn 1982) that "Vernadsky's conception of the role of Mongols in
the rise of Moscow derived from Karamzin, although it had been
rejected by Solov'ev and Kliuchevsky" (p.479).
I think that in any discussion of Russian identity in terms of spatial
symbolism, one shouldn't overlook the fact that the North was often
seen as a symbol of national particularity. This notion was especially
well developed in literary texts penned by Russian Romantics. Otto
Boele discusses this issue very  convincingly in his book "The North
in Russian Romantic Literature" (Rodopi, Amsterdam, 1996). According
to this book, in Russian Romantic literature the North replaced the
East as the symbol of national identity. Russian Symbolists/modernists
(Gippius, Merezhkovsky, Prishvin, etc.) also were interested in this
notion and travelled to the North of Russia searching for various
manifestation of pure Russian spirit there...The  mythologeme related
to Kitezh was well explored in many works of the modernist period,
too...
In sum, I think that it's important to bear in mind the
Northern-Southern cultural paradigm, too, when we talk about Russian
identity in cultural and literary contexts.

All very best,
Alexandra

Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Lecturer in Russian
School of European Languages and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EX8 9JX