KAP DOCHKA

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Sat Jan 13 10:46:22 UTC 2007

I appreciate that the phrase is not inherently in any way humorous.  What
> interests me is its humorousness IN CONTEXT.  Pyotr has just been given a
> sheepskin coat, and then Savelich talks of 'klok shersti'.  But somehow this
> kind of humour seems uncharacteristic of Savelich.

--Dear Robert,

It seems to me that you uncovered (in the example provided above) the
use of symmetrical compositions in "Kapitanskaia dochka". Pushkin's
works are full of such symmetrical compositions. Kap. dochka has a lot
of inner rhymes of this kind; they form certain semantic clusters. In
this particular case, the "rhyme" acts as a part of the binary
opposition of the wolf-sheep imagery.
In my opinion, it's true to say that it is Pushkin, not Savel'ich, who
is amused by such rhyming...
Efim Etkind wrote a book on symmetrical compositions in Pushkin's
works. I'm sure you could find in the SSEES library. If not, you could
check my review of this book for further details (Efim Etkind’s book
“Simmetricheskie kompositsii u Pushkina”, SEER, vol.68, 1, January
1990, pp.110-11.).

All very best,
Sasha

Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Lecturer in Russian
School of European Languages and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EX8 9JX