Russian Cellphone jargon

Tatyana Buzina tbuzina at YANDEX.RU
Sun Jan 14 09:45:27 UTC 2007

In my experience, we don't. If you wish to save money you just text which is cheaper. There's a clear understanding that if you choose to call that's your money you're kissing good-bye to. That's why, before they introduced the "calling party pays" scheme last July, it was good manners not to call cell phones from landline phones because that call was free for the caller but cost money to the cell phone owner.
There's the expression though, 'sbrosit' zvonok.' It means that you call somebody, and that somebody promptly hangs up on you, or 'sbrasyvaet vash zvonok.' It means they cannot talk at the moment, and they usually call you back when they can talk. It's not considered rude as it would've been on a landline, it just means you called them at a wrong moment.
Tatyana