politeness survey

Patricia Chaput chaput at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Jan 18 19:10:04 UTC 2007

I did the survey and had similar problems, but I typed in variations for
different scenarios.  I don't think I would go with supplied options,
since I think they would be constraining.  I think that after you have
received some of the surveys back, you may have some idea of how to
narrow the situations.  So many of the situations presented depend on
specifics of the situations and relationships between the interlocutors,
plus what you are tyring to communicate.  For example, on the question
about someone arriving twenty minutes late--Do you want to put the
person at ease?  Does it really matter that s/he is late?  Is there a
time constraint?  Is this a form of chronic rudeness?  Each scenario
would take a different response.  I find this topic very interesting and
hope that you will let participants know where they can learn about your
results.
Patricia Chaput
Slavic Department
Harvard University