'hoodie' in Russian

Vitaly Chernetsky chernev at MUOHIO.EDU
Thu Jan 25 18:46:15 UTC 2007

Dear Devin, dear colleagues,

One of the websites Tony included in his message also mentions another
popular Russian name for a hoodie: "tolstovka." Yes, believe it or not,
this word no longer refers exclusively to the Russian peasant style shirt
Lev Nikolaevich used to wear, but now is primarily used to refer to
sweatshirts, especially hooded ones. See, for example:

http://www.ilovedress.ru/guide/01_07/tolstovka/

Best,

Vitaly Chernetsky

--