the poet and painter Halya Mazurenko

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Sun Jan 28 20:28:01 UTC 2007

Dear Mr. Langran and Fellow SEELANGERS,

The fourth letter of the Ukrainian alphabet  ( Г ) is transliterated
into English with an H,
whereas the fifth letter ( Ґ ) is rendered with a G.  Thus,
Mazurenko's first name should be
transliterated as Halia  (Library of Congress system), or  Halja
(Internationa Standard),
or Halya (British and various other anglophone systems).

There is a brief entry on the poet and painter Halia Mazurenko in the
III Volume of the *Encyclopedia of
Ukraine* (CIUS & University of Toronto, 1993), which enumerates her
collections of poetry
and features a photograph. The following articles might be a good
place to start for studying
Halia Mazurenko's legacy:
(1)  "Halia Mazurenko (Boholiubova Halyna Serhiïvna)" in
Dnipropetrovshchyna: rehional'nyi informatsiinyi portal
http://irp.dp.ua/site/topicitem.jsp?
category_id=58850801&item_id=201713134

(2) Myroslav Makarevych, "V poshukakh vtrachenoï intelihentsiï...
cherez pryzmu doli
odniieï rodyny,"  *Dzerkalo tyzhnia*, 9-15  hrudnia 2000
http://www.zn.kiev.ua/nn/show/321/29693/    [There is a Russian
version of this article:
http://www.zerkalo-nedeli.com/nn/show/321/29693/ ]

(3) Alena Moravkova, "Oksana Liaturyns'ka i Halia Mazurenko --
studentky Ukraïns'koï studiï
plastychnoho mystetstva,"  *Ukraïns'ke mystets'ke seredovyshche v
mizhvoiennii
Chekhoslovachchyni  (Praha [Prague], 2005) pp. 163-168

(4) Also, In *Ukraïins'ke zhyttia v Sevastopoli*
http://ukrlife.org/main/evshan/teliha_100about.htm
there is an article about the Ukrainian poet Olena Teliha (who was
shot in Babyn Iar), in which
her circle of friends, including Halia Mazurenko, is mentioned.

Also, I suggest perusing the following publications:
1) the official organ of the Institute of Literature, *Slovo i chas,*
which
is published in Kyiv.  I recall reading about Halia Mazurenko in one
of the 2003 issues.
2) the almanac *Sicheslavshchyna*, which is published by the
Dnipropetrovsk branch of the
*Vseukraïns'ka spilka kraieznavtsiv* and the *Dnipropetrovs'ka
oblasna naukova biblioteka.*
3)  the journal *Sicheslav*
4) the site of the Dinipropetrovs'ka tsentral'na mis'ka biblioteka

I would also consider articles on the Prague school of Ukrainian
poets.  Google has quite a few entries
in Ukrainian (and some in Russian) on Halia Mazurenko.  Good luck!

Natalia Pylypiuk (University of Alberta)