Course on Russian Cities

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Wed Jul 4 20:56:04 UTC 2007

Hello,

A book to consider about Vladivostok (if you can find a copy) is:

Хисамутдинов А.А. "Владивосток: этюды к истории старого города". -
Владивосток: Изд. ДВГУ, 1992.
Khisamutdinov A.A. "Vladivostok:  et'udy k istorii starogo goroda" -
Vladivostok; Izd. DVGU, 1992

I can't vouch for its historical accuracy but it includes vignettes
about the history of the city including a military commander trying to
keep his men from riding pigs? (I think it was) out of boredom, about
the naming of Svetlanskaya St. (which has also be renamed numerous
times to Amerikanskaya -- after a ship not the country -- and
Leninskaya), about the opening of the first cabaret, about Przewalski's
visit, about the first department store with its own nearby power plant
to power the electric elevator, about relations with Chinese fishermen,
etc.  You'd have to have it translated for your lower level students as
I'm guessing that no translation into English exists.

Would readings in English also work, ie. written originally in English
not Russian?

Regards,

Emily Saunders