Russian Cities

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Thu Jul 5 05:23:26 UTC 2007

Hello Jeremy and Ben,

At note on the Staryj Vladivostok book -- my uncle (who knows no
Russian) had a bit more fun than was good for him reading the
translated bits -- typical non-native translator goofs made for some
humorous moments...

;-)

In English only there is a book that struck me as somewhat embellished
but interesting historical account of the Decembrists' wives who
followed their husbands into exile in Siberia, and in particular about
Maria Volkonskaya, wife of Andrei Volkonsky.  The book as a whole
spends most of its time talking about what they left behind and their
initial exile experiences, but after their husbands had served their
time they were slowly allowed back into society and into Irkutsk in
particular.  A chapter or two from the back of the book could be
interesting from the perspective of how the presence of these highly
educated women affected the social structure of that city -- getting
hospitals built, giving soirees, setting up musical societies, etc.
The book is called:  The Princess of Siberia: The Story of Maria
Volkonsky and the Decembrist Exiles and the author is by Christine
Sutherland

There was also a recent publication out of Sakhalin -- a photo album
sort of book -- that discusses the history of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk with
reference to the period of Japanese settlement/occupation of the bottom
half of the island.  It's called:

Южно-Сахалинск - три цвета времени/Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk - Tri tsveta
vremeni.  I'm not sure of the author nor how to find the book (I think
I gave our copy away as a gift...)  But bits of it together with photos
can be found at the website:  http://3colors.sakh.com/Vladimirovka/  It
could be interesting from the perspective of how a city changes/stays
the same when there is a complete changeover of population from one
nationality/ethnicity to another.  The treatment of the topic was
fairly evenhanded if I recall rightly and the actual book (if you can
find it) had both Russian and English text.

It seems as if there are others lurking in my memory, but eluding me
thus far...

Emily