Best Translations of Master & Marg and One Day?

Sara Stefani sara.stefani at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 2 15:14:25 UTC 2007

Dear All,

I'll be teaching a class this fall on the Russian Novel, and I was wondering if
anyone out there had strong feelings about the best translation of Master and
Margarita? I've found five different options: translations by Michael Glenny,
Mirra Ginsburg, Diana Burgin, Pevear and Volokhonsky, and a new(ish)
translation by Michael Karpelson. The only one I've read is the Glenny
translation. My first impulse is to go with Pevear and Volokhonsky, but first
wanted to see if any of you have had experiences with any of these versions?

On that same note, any strong preferences for a translation of One Day in the
Life of Ivan Denisovich? The options I've found are by Ralph Parker, Max
Hayward and Ronald Hingley, and the newest one by H. T. Willetts. The
Willetts translation seems longer and more expensive, and I'm wondering
whether it's really worth the extra money.

Feel free to contact me on or off-line at sara.stefani at yale.edu/.

Many thanks in advance!!

Best,
Sara