REVISITING PERESTROIKA - EXTENDED DEADLINE

7th Annual Conference Aleksanteri Institute aleksanteri7 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 5 12:54:22 UTC 2007

Extended Deadline for Abstracts: 18 June

REVISITING PERESTROIKA - PROCESSES AND ALTERNATIVES
http://www.helsinki.fi/aleksanteri/conference2007

The response to our CfP has been substantial and of high quality. We
have also received a large number of late submissions - including an
especially WELCOME and growing response from departments of Economics,
Law and the Social Sciences. We also have several new and, dare we say,
prestigious components in our series of ALEKSANTERI CULTURAL FORA to
announce!

http://www.helsinki.fi/aleksanteri/conference2007/cultural_fora.htm

Adding to this the delay with which our CfP reached scholars worldwide
(some e-lists have been ponderously slow to act), we have decided to
EXTEND THE DEADLINE for papers to the 18th of June. For those who have
put up the poster or other notices, please be so kind as to mark this
change on your bulletin boards accordingly!

The news from the Cultural Fora include:

1. Confirmation of a substantial EXHIBITION at one of Northern Europe's
most prestigious art institutions - THE MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART,
KIASMA:

"RAW MATERIALS - THE ARCHIVE OF ART AND THE ART OF ARCHIVES"
The "Raw Materials" exhibition excavates the choices and power
mechanisms involved in 'making history' by manifesting this process as
lived (installation), mediatized (archival and audio-visual documents),
made 'scientific' (archival categorization) and reflexively absorbed
into society (socio-cognitive maps). This is all connected through a
process of language -game and memory construction made physically
tangible in the exhibition in such a way, that the audience itself steps
into the (art-) historical process of choosing from the massive archive
of archives accumulated outside of hitherto 'approved history'. The
viewer is given insight and a personal experience in separating this
archive into categories (Greek kategoria, 'accusation', 'assertion',
'predication'), applying concepts, and thus "writing history".

(Reception at KIASMA MUSEUM on the final day of the 7th Annual Conference)

2. Dmitri PRIGOV: confirmation of the attendance of the renowned
perestroika-era poet.

LITERARY PLATFORM with Dmitri Alexandrovich Prigov
A reading, discussions and panels with this "66-year-old avant-gardist
and hooligan", perhaps the best-known poet of the perestroika era,
will be held in parallel to the conference. The poet is hosted by the
Department of Slavic and Baltic Languages and Literatures, Helsinki
University.

We encourage you to use the extra time to inform your colleagues, form
panels or potentially inform us of your willingness to chair a panel or
act as a discussant for this unusual series of events.

With welcoming wishes,

Ivor Stodolsky

Conference Organiser

Conference e-mails: fcree-aleksconf at helsinki.fi // aleksanteri7 at gmail.com

Ivor A Stodolsky
Researcher, Russian Culture and Theory
Aleksanteri Institute, Helsinki University
Aleksanteri Conference Organiser / Cultural Fora Curator
http://www.helsinki.fi/aleksanteri/conference2007
Institute: +358 3 191 23631