Internet visas

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Thu Jun 14 20:19:59 UTC 2007

Russia seems to do lots of things that aren't in its own interests. If not
dropping the visa, at least they could skip all the other hassles like the
registration. I found that obtaining a Chinese visa and even staying there
for a year and working was much easier than doing the same in Russia.

Sarah Hurst

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Nicole Monnier
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:13 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Internet visas

Dear SEELANGTSY!

MANY thanks for the 20+ responses regarding the
vaguely-unsavory-but-otherwise-viable world of online Russian invitation +v
isa services. I've taken the plunge and hope to be able to report back
successfully on my adventures, or lack thereof (tfu, tfu!).

But this whole issue begs the question (if I'm using that phrase correctly):
why the heck doesn't Russia just drop the whole visa requirement thing, if
only for reasons of tourism, if not sanity?

That's a rhetorical cry of the soul; I don't really expect any answers . . .

Gratefully,

Nicole

Dr. Nicole Monnier
Assistant Professor of Instruction
Director of Undergraduate Studies (Russian)
German & Russian Studies
415 GCB
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211