QUERY: uzhe + poka = ???

colkitto colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Fri Jun 15 02:19:23 UTC 2007

> Kim Braithwaite wrote:
>
>> Given the "flow" of the sense of the two sentences, and in pursuit of
>> possible further clarification, what comes after ".... poka
>> nevozmozhno" in the text? Is there any reason to think that the
>> period at the end of that sentence shouldn't be there and that the
>> next part of the passage - the next sentence - fills out the sense?
>> If so (and this is probably farfetched), perhaps " ... poka
>> nevozmozhno ... " should read: " ... since/as long as (it is)
>> impossible, (then) ... "
>
> What follows is the heading of the next section. This is "all the
> farther" they go with this, as some of my Midwestern friends are wont to
> say. The authors seem to think this settles the matter.
>
> This is my third message of the day, so house rules require me to remain
> silent until tomorrow. Good night.

it's only my second message, so I'll add that  "for the foreseeable future"
seems to be a nice way of rounding things off at the end of a paragraph,
though it does add an idea that is not specified in the source text.
Incidentally "uze nevozmozno" appears to imply that reducing the planet's
population to a billion when it was at, say, a billion and a half, might
have been possible, but not now, when it's six, seven, eight, or nine
billion (I forget the exact figure).