Translation question clarification

Maryna Vinarska vinarska at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 18 19:27:43 UTC 2007

"Zakaznaja stat'ia" means that the author is writing strictly according to the "party line" because he was asked to do this to promote the idea which may be absolutely false, although not necessarily. This is what Elena Gapova means. There must be smth in English.
MV

Sarah Hurst <sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET> wrote: Those kinds of articles would indeed be called paid advertisements or
referred to as copywriting/PR. But I think the concept being described is
different because it aims to deceive the reader into thinking it's not an
advertisement, as I understand it. Like product placement in a movie. You
read an article thinking it's an objective review when actually it's a puff
piece - also a good suggestion from someone. But there are even more
sinister aspects if it's not a product but an article about a politician,
for example, presented as news.

Sarah Hurst

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[TTI]
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 9:41 AM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Translation question clarification

These sorts of "articles," which I occasionally see in some US
newspapers and magazines, are usually labeled at the top and bottom with
the words "Advertisement" or "Paid Advertisement."  Depending on the
reputability of the publication, those words are to greater and lesser
degrees prominent...

But I don't know what the correct journalistic term for them would be.

Tony Vanchu

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu
Director, JSC Language Education Center
TechTrans International, Inc.