Translation question clarification

Maryna Vinarska vinarska at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 19 20:02:14 UTC 2007

As to the old standby "propaganda", I would say that "zakaznaja stat'ia" is the means of propaganda. Doesn't fit the context here. As to its sister "agitprop"... it's so heavily loaded... that I would also reserve it for another context... smth on some current processes in the western world. ;-)
But I definitely like "The government planted a story saying that...". This is it. It's exactly the same idea which is behind "zakaznaja stat'ia". Interesting that this "to plant" is close to the Russian "posejat' zerno somnenija v chjom-to soznanii" that often aims at the conditioning to a way of thinking for someone else's benefit which is exactly the task of "zakaznaja stat'ia".
Will save this "to plant a story" in my memory.
MV

"Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM> wrote: Maryna Vinarska wrote:

> "Zakaznaja stat'ia" means that the author is writing strictly
> according to the "party line" because he was asked to do this to
> promote the idea which may be absolutely false, although not
> necessarily. This is what Elena Gapova means. There must be smth in
> English.

OK, well, how about the old standby "propaganda" and its sister "agitprop"?

;-)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com