Translation question clarification

Tue Jun 19 21:11:46 UTC 2007

Maryna Vinarska wrote:

> As to the old standby "propaganda", I would say that "zakaznaja
> stat'ia" is the means of propaganda. Doesn't fit the context here. As
> to its sister "agitprop"... it's so heavily loaded... that I would
> also reserve it for another context... smth on some current processes
> in the western world. ;-) But I definitely like "The government
> planted a story saying that...". This is it. It's exactly the same
> idea which is behind "zakaznaja stat'ia". Interesting that this "to
> plant" is close to the Russian "posejat' zerno somnenija v chjom-to
> soznanii" that often aims at the conditioning to a way of thinking
> for someone else's benefit which is exactly the task of "zakaznaja
> stat'ia". Will save this "to plant a story" in my memory.

Another term in current US usage in this general subject area is
"astroturf." This is "Beltway slang for fake grassroots organizations,
corporate-sponsored groups that lend pro-industry causes a veneer of
moral legitimacy."

<http://www.campaignfinance.org/tracker/winter02/FCC.html>

<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=astroturf>
Definitions 1, 3

<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Astroturf%2C+astroturfing>
(overlook the sloppy grammar)

And of course various political and industry groups create their own
"think tanks" to sponsor "research" that accidentally on purpose happens
to "prove" their sponsors' views are correct. An obvious example, but
hardly the only one, is the Tobacco Institute, whose mission is to prove
that tobacco is natural, healthy, safe, etc. One of the principal
strategies of such entities is to plant articles in the media, which
over time become "conventional wisdom" because legitimate researchers
publish in obscure journals read only by their peers.

There was a scandal a year or so ago when a government agency was caught
doing this -- anyone remember that? (I'm blanking)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com