a fly on the dead

Evelina Mendelevich emendelevich at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 19 23:14:34 UTC 2007

Dear Seelangers,
I had something of a deja vu when I read the following description of
Dignam's corpse in Joyce's Ulysses:
"His face got all grey instead of being red like it was and there was a fly
walking over it up to his eye."

At first I was convinced I have seen a similar description of death in
Tolstoy's Death of Ivan Ilyich, but I was wrong. As I am struggling to
recollect were I have seen this fly-Chekhov? Turgenev?-I seem to remember
that the episode I have in mind involves a husband dealing with a wife's
death. of course, I might be wrong again.

Any information (the title of the story/author) will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Evelina Mendelevich