On the word FUN usage

Thu Jun 21 07:18:48 UTC 2007

Goloviznin Konstantin wrote:

> Once upon a time some russianspeaking person accused onother (russian
> speaking too) in a wrong usage of the word FUN. The accused had used
> a phrase like GET FUN OUT OF THIS but the accuser insisted it was a
> big mistake. Could you specify all possible variants of phrasing for
> the FUN with appropriate note for formal/informal usage.

Notwithstanding Mr. Hosseini's protestation, I have no objection to the
usage you cite. It's not formal, but neither is it wrong. It would be
more natural to include a quantifier:
	get some fun out of sth.
	get a lot of fun out of sth.
	get no fun out of sth.

I speak only for American English, and cannot vouch for British usage.

BTW, the verb "accuse" in English (unlike the Russian обвинить/обвинять)
takes the preposition "of":
	accuse so. of sth.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.