On the word FUN usage

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Thu Jun 21 09:26:39 UTC 2007

I can't speak for the original enquirer, but I'm not sure I can feel the difference.  To me both are equally acceptable and neither is in any way sub-standard.  If there is a difference, I would suggest it is 'aspectual' (I thought a Slavonic angle might be appreciated here): 'have ... playing' is 'imperfective', in that you are describing how you felt at the time of the joke, while 'got ... out of' is 'perfective', in that you are summing up how you felt as a result of having played the joke.*  But note that both sentences use a quantifier.

John Dunn.

*If anyone thinks they can use this insight(??) to explain Slavonic aspects, please feel free to do so.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dustin Hosseini <iamlearningenglish at GMAIL.COM>
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 03:55:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] On the word FUN usage

I agree with Paul, it's definitely non-standard.  If you wish to sound more
natural, it might be best to use "have + fun" rather than "get + fun".

We had a lot of fun playing that joke on our boss.
We got a lot of fun out of playing that joke on our boss.

Konstantin, can you feel the difference?

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna