dull books

Tatyana Buzina tbuzina at YANDEX.RU
Wed Jun 27 06:53:50 UTC 2007

Somehow, I am not surprised. It's foisted on most people in what used to be the ninth grade (the tenth now, I suppose), and I distinctly remember myself hating it and heartily wishing it to end soon, and it just never did. (Rather ironic given that I work on Dostoevsky steadily since my third university year, but it only goes to show.) Not every tenth grader goes on to become a Slavist, and I would guess most of them don't go back to the book that bored them to tears. I think something else should be substituted for C&P in the school curriculum although I am at a loss to suggest anything.
I am not surprised to find Ulysses there, although I am surprised enough people remembered it. And speaking of unexpected preferences, would you believe that a large number of 17-year-old students of English lit. also find Lord of the Rings exquisitely boring just because it's that long?
Regards,
Tatyana

--
Как найти земляков? Найдутся все. http://moikrug.ru/l