FAME/SHAME binary opposition

Lily Alexander lily.alexander at UTORONTO.CA
Thu Jun 28 15:24:48 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

There is an anthropological concept and a binary opposition FAME / SHAME
(see below), which allows to assess a given in the context of how this
opposition works at a given time period. We may assume that it is
different for different cultures, for different foundational myths, and
perhaps even changing to some extent every 10 /20 /30 years or so within
the same national culture. This of course is reflected in the
literature, media and culture in so many ways.

The American school (school of thought that is) of the sociology of
collective emotions tend to believe that a notion and experience of
shame (in the deepest sense) is being  supressed in American culture in
many ways.

There are many contexts of course: remorse, law, masculinity, rivalry,
status, hierarchy, confession in a public sphere, the Fifth, and what
not...  Numerous fascinating and controdictory contexts.
For example, shame has been used in the purpose of marketing (notoriety
sells, there is no such thing as bad shame, etc.).

I would be very interested in the opinions on what exactly is going on
with this binary opposition recently, and perhaps also touching a few
preceding decades comparatively in the American and post-Soviet cultures.

Of course, it is a huge topic. But very interesting to think about,
perhaps for those of us who are not traveling right now.  And those
colleagues who are enjoying traveling at this moment, have probably
shamelessly forgotten about this list.  Good for them... :-)

Anyway, for comparison I posted below a definition, which largely
applies to the Japanese tradition (but not only).  As Levi-Strauss
suggested the key binary oppositions can contribute to the describtion
of a given culture.

 I would welcome your thoughts, no matter how polished/unpolished -
please fire away - questions, ideas, controversies, commentaries, etc,
especialy in comparative context.

Thank you in advance.

Lily Alexander