Matrosskaia tishina

Jack Kollmann kolljack at STANFORD.EDU
Sat Jun 30 07:55:07 UTC 2007

>Steven Hill wrote:
>  Now, a new query, about crooks, crime, jails, prisons,
>"camps," etc. In some of the literature I'm reading this summer,
>I encounter references to "silence for sailors," if I take literally
>that expression.  But clearly it refers to a notorious JAIL or
>PRISON called "Matrosskaia tishina."
>
>Does anyone out there have some explanation, how a notorious
>penal institution acquired such a curious name?

         Matrosskaia tishina is the name of a street in Moscow NE of center
in the Sokol'niki District; there is also the Matrosskii Bridge over the
IAuza River (Ulitsa Stromynka).  Peter I started a sailboat workshop on the
right bank of the IAuza, around which grew a sailors' (and shipbuilders')
district, and where a hospital was founded during Peter's time in a "quiet"
(tikhii) meadow that came to be known as the Matrosskaia tishina
hospital.  A psychiatric hospital ( #3 in Soviet times, now the V.A.
Giliarovskii Psychiatric Hospital) is located at No. 20, perhaps at the
same location as the Petrine hospital(?).  Numbers 4-20 on Ulitsa
Matrosskaia tishina include, in addition to the psychiatric hospital at
#20, the Matrosskaia Tishina Prison and the Matrosskaia Tishina Psychiatric
Prison IZ-48/1.
         I'm not familiar with the history of this complex of prisons and
psychiatric hospitals/prisons or how notorious they were.  Perhaps someone
else will know more about their 19th-20th-century history.  They are
mentioned in Avraham Shifrin's "The First Guidebook to Prisons and
Concentration Camps of the Soviet Union,"  Stephanus Edition,
Uhldingen/Seewis, Switzerland,1980, transl. from Russian, pp.  24, 25, 40,
47, 50.

Jack Kollmann
Stanford University