SCLA 2007 Annual Conference: October 12-14, 2007 at the University of Chicago

Steven Clancy sclancy at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon May 7 03:37:27 UTC 2007

The Center for the Study of Languages (CSL),
The Center for East European and Russian/Eurasian Studies (CEERES),
and The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
at the University of Chicago present

THE SEVENTH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF
THE SLAVIC COGNITIVE LINGUISTICS ASSOCIATION (SCLA)

The Slavic Cognitive Linguistics Association (SCLA) announces the
Call for Papers for the 2007 annual conference. The conference will
be held on the University of Chicago campus at the Center for the
Study of Languages on Friday, October 12 through Sunday, October 14,
2007.

2007 SCLA Keynote Speakers

William Croft
Professor of Linguistics
University of New Mexico

Mark Turner
Institute Professor and Professor of Cognitive Science
Case Western Reserve University

Lawrence Zbikowski
Associate Professor of Music
University of Chicago

CALL FOR PAPERS
Abstracts are invited for presentations addressing issues of
significance for cognitive linguistics. We define cognitive
linguistics as
any linguistic endeavour aimed at providing explanations of
linguistic phenomena which are psychologically plausible, i.e.
characterizing "the
psychological structures that constitute a speaker's linguistic
ability" (Langacker). As long as there is a cognitive orientation,
papers may be in any of the traditional areas of synchronic or
diachronic phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics,
discourse analysis or sociolinguistics.

MAIN SESSIONS (Saturday and Sunday)
Each presentation for the main sessions will be given 20 minutes and
will be followed by a 10-minute discussion period.

POSTER SESSIONS (Saturday and Sunday)
We also welcome submissions for parallel poster sessions. Posters may
consist of traditional posters, handouts, or multimedia
presentations. Participants should plan for 15 minute presentations
that will be repeated 3 times during a 60 minute session.

Presentations may be in the native language of the presenter;
however, if the presentation is not to be made in English we ask that
you provide the abstract in English in addition to an abstract in any
other language.

Abstracts may be submitted anytime before July 15, 2007 to Steven
Clancy <sclancy at uchicago.edu>. Please indicate if you would like
your submission to be considered for a 20-minute presentation or the
poster session. Abstracts should be 500-750 words, but strict word
limits are not required. Notification of acceptance will be provided
by August 20, 2007.

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE
Friday, October 12: conference begins in evening with reception,
keynote address, and dinner
Saturday, October 13: main sessions and poster presentations as well
as two keynote addresses, lunch and dinner
Sunday, October 14: main sessions and poster presentations continue
through lunchtime conclusion

FURTHER INFORMATION
Information on transportation, accommodations, and the conference
venue will be forthcoming. Please see the conference website for
further information.

http://languages.uchicago.edu/scla

We hope you will be able to join us for our seventh annual
conference. Please forward this call for papers to your colleagues
and graduate students who may be interested in presenting or attending.

Sincerely,

Steven Clancy			Tore Nesset
President, SCLA			Vice-President, SCLA

on behalf of the SCLA officers and the 2007 SCLA organizing committee