Kliuev-type names: pronunciation vs. transliteration

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Mon May 7 08:05:52 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues:

It's good to have clarification from experts of the poet Kliuev's surname.

Now I mention something peripheral to Paul Gallagher's principal
question, which I think was directed at the PRONUNCIATION of this
surname (as opposed to transliteration of it).

We've gotten expert testimony that it's pronounced [ KLJU - jif ].  I
suppose the original query would have been slightly clearer, if Prof
Gallagher had enclosed the item in square brackets (assuming he
was asking about pronunciation).  Linguists often use brackets (or
diagonals) to indicate pronunciation.

In some Russian names and words where -JO- is indeed pronounced,
there can be a separate question,   namely,   how does one
TRANSLITERATE such words and names?  This is a serious matter
for, among others, library catalogers.    E.g.,  "Mr. Crane" (bird),
which I think is pronounced [ zhu ra VLJOF ].

In this instance, the 2d question (for catalogers, etc.)  would be:
to transliterate the surname as "Zhuravlev" or as "Zhuravliov" or as
"Zhuravl-(E with 2 dots over it )-v."    My impression is that many
simply transliterate the vowel here as "plain E" ("Zhuravlev"), choosing
to follow the common but unhelpful Russian practice of not indicating
the [ JO ] pronunciation at all...

Best wishes to everybody,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.