post or contra Tolstoy?

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Tue May 8 17:55:24 UTC 2007

Jane,

They are legion.

There are many starting places, but I can recommend Peter Ulf Moller's
really excellent historical investigation, _Postlude to the Kreutzer
Sonata_, which follows the reverberations and counterpoints to that
piece in Russia, China, Japan, USA, etc.

The Tolstoy Studies Journal in the last issue had an article by Ron
LeBlanc: "Saninism Versus Tolstoyism: The Anti-Tolstoy Subtext in M.
Artsybashev's _Sanin_." That issue also had an interview with filmmaker
Paul Schick on his really excellent short film "Alyosha the Pot." The
previous (2005) issue had an article by Barbara Henry on Gordin's play,
_Di Kreytser Sonata_, his "response" to Tolstoy's novella.

A quick flip through past issues of the Journal will surely turn out
dozens more examples.

If you're feeling multi-media friendly, you could also poke through a
filmography I put together a few years ago of films based on LNT's
works:
http://www.utoronto.ca/tolstoy/filmography/filmography.htm

One final suggestions: Chekhov's only novel, _The Duel_, is perhaps more
Tolstoyan than Tolstoy (well, a certain bent in the late Tolstoy, at
least). It was written in direct response to Tolstoy, I think, and
certainly under his (indirect and problematic) tutelage. It is,
furthermore, my favorite piece of Russian fiction.

~mad

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner
   Editor, Tolstoy Studies Journal