Whitman in Ukraine

Nina Shevchuk n_shevchuk at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 9 13:38:02 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues:
The Walt Whitman digital archive (www.whitmanarchive.org) has started digitizing translations of Whitman's work into various languages to add to its resources. I am directly involved with the Russian and Ukrainian translations, so I am here to ask for some pointers.
I think I have my Russian covered, and I have the two Soviet Ukrainian editions of Leaves of Grass (1954 and 1982), but I find it difficult to believe that there was no "Ukrainian Whitman" before 1954. I've had some difficulty even establishing the existence of earlier translations. Does anyone know of any Ukrainian poets translating Whitman? Does anyone know of any published translations before 1954? The archive has ways and means of obtaining materials -- even if there's just a manuscript in some obscure library, we can get it.
Thanks in advance for all your input.

Sincerely,

Nina Shevchuk-Murray