Anglo mis-stressing

Laura Goering lgoering at CARLETON.EDU
Fri May 11 01:26:20 UTC 2007

> 	Others, however, make me wonder -- and perhaps some linguist colleagues can
> help out -- is there an overriding principle in the English language or
> culture why this
> butchering is done?

> 	PavLOVa
> 	SharaPOva  (she finally gave in and said, ok, that's my name)

I long thought the tendency for Americans to stress the -OV in
feminine names, as in the two examples you give, was one such
overriding principle. But then, at precisely the same time that
ShaRApova turned into SharaPOva, KuznetSOva mutated into KuzNETZova.
That one has be baffled.

The other seeming regularity is a tendency to want to stress the -IN
in feminine names, but not masculine. So people who have no problem
saying SAfin call his sister SaFEENa.

> 	LerMONTov  (I doubt the pronouncers have heard of Learmont)

This is a new one on me. My students have no trouble with LERmontov,
by analogy with their versions of TURgenev and NABokov.

> In exasperation, I tell my Anglo speakers, just decide where you want
> to put the stress and
> then move it one to the right.  If you think the stress should go on
> the last syllable, then put
> it on the first.  At least I increase the probablity of getting it right.

Not a bad rule of thumb. It really does increase the probability of
getting it right.

Laura Goering