Anglo mis-stressing

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri May 11 00:15:36 UTC 2007

The feeling is rather mutual, just to look at the way Russians
pronounce MacLean, (ulica MAklina), Fitzgerald or Sinatra. Granted
Sinatra might be Italian, but then Lollobrigida is also mis-stressed.
And to add to the stress factor that Shaw became Show.

But then there is a small item of the stress of the name of Henry
Purcell between British and Americans, as far as I know. But then
there are many disagreements as to which syllAble should be stressed
between the speakers of these two dialects.

On May 10, 2007, at 6:50 PM, George Kalbouss wrote:

> The discussion on the pronunciation of Kluev has led me to wonder
> out loud about a
> phenomenon that I have been patiently putting up with lo these 60
> years, namely, how
> Anglo-speakers seem to have a talent to rarely guess where the
> stress should go on
> a Russian name.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University