Anglo mis-stressing

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Fri May 11 02:08:18 UTC 2007

Not having studied the stress patterns of my native language, I can't
really comment on the "mis-stressing" of Russian names by
anglo-speakers, but I have noticed some common errors in the opposite
direction:

DZHEEP CheROkee
SuBAru FoRESter

being two of my favorites.   (Though I have been told that SuBAru is
the original Japanese pronunciation and that we anglo-speakers have
that one wrong while the Russians have it right.)

And there are more, but I can't think of any offhand.  At any rate I
would say that butchering the pronunciation of foreign words is common
across all languages and is not something culturally specific to one
linguistic group.

Cheers,

Emily Saunders

P.S.  To the previous list of commonly mispronounced Russian words I'd
also add baBUSHka and VLADiVOStok (two stressed syllables and neither
of them the right one...)