Anglo mis-stressing

colkitto colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Fri May 11 03:00:48 UTC 2007

> Some of the worst mis-stresses I can figure out.  MiKHAIL becomes
> "Mick-HALE"
> because it looks like that, and DACHa is stressed correctly but the
> pronunciation is
> DAKHA (not the way the word actually looks) because an analogy, for some
> unknown
> reason, is made with the concentration camp, Dachau.

Actually, I heard the analogy made with Scottish Gaelic dachaidh
(dhachaidh) - "home" , where a linguistically sophisticated speaker
(university lecturer in a European language, neither Slavic or Celtic) asked
if it were related to dacha (same stress), but with a fricative instead of
palatal.

folk etuymologies never case to amaze

and meanwhile, to round off the triangle, equating  "Dachau" and "dachaidh"
is something that never occurred to me - although judging from the recent
apparent shift of interest on the part of the insaner neo-Nazis to Celtic
material, maybe there's a short horror  story waiting to be written .......

also, in Afrikaans "dagga:" (pron. dakha!!) is "marijuana"..........