Anglo mis-stressing

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Fri May 11 03:06:27 UTC 2007

Several of Mr Gallagher's in-depth linguistic points are well taken. I do
think calling natural speechways "ignorance" is going too far. I don't buy
the notion that speakers of English ought to reproduce every phonological
nicety of foreign names when speaking English.

While interacting with Russians and Georgians in Tbilisi, I found it
perfectly natural and acceptable that they pronounced my surname with a
"tapped r" instead of the correct retroflex r, or a plain or aspirated t
instead of the correct interdental th, or a v instead of the correct w. They
were, after all, speaking Russian and Georgian. (I did point out during one
interview - with wry intent - that the correct pronunciation of Texas is
TEK-suss rather than teh-KHASS. They got the joke).

Russian names aside, consider Chinese. Does anyone think that English
speakers (whether journalists or layfolk) should be obliged to master the
intricacies of the tones? A wrong tone on a Chinese name or ordinary word,
as everyone knows, may not only sound strange but could cause serious
misunderstanding and even offense - when speaking Chinese. When speaking
English, I say live with it.

My sympathies to Mr Koulbass. Sixty years adds up to a lot of anguish.

Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator

   "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer" - Mammy Yokum (Al Capp)