Anglo mis-stressing

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Fri May 11 08:16:25 UTC 2007

This is definitely something that affects all cross-cultural relations, and
in both directions.

I've lived in Moscow for nearly 4 years now. My name - Josh Wilson -
although fairly common for an American name, contains two sounds that do not
occur in Russian. The phonetics of my last name are inevitably changed by
Russians who pronounce it "u-ILson" or, heaven forbid "VILson," which is a
linguistic twist I've never really understood (English pronounced with
German rules by a Russian? Strange).

Add to that that my first name, Josh, is rarely known by Russians and
consists of sounds that are difficult for Russians to naturally put
together. So, their natural speechways morph the name into "George," a name
they are more familiar with and can more easily pronounce.

What is your name?
Josh
George! What a great English name!
No, Josh
Yes, George! Pleased to meet you.

In many cases, if I don't plan to have a long term relationship with the
person, I just let them think my name is George. If I will have a long term
relationship with them, I go through the explanation of the name Josh, that
it is different from George, derived from the Hebrew... blah blah blah, and
please don't confuse me with my president. Only then do they seem to be able
to see the difference, but they still usually poorly pronounce the name,
usually as something like "Dzhush."

So, while I send Ms. SharaPOva my condolences, I agree with Mr. Braitvait.
Best just to accept that fact that vast majority of people in a foreign
country will not be able to "properly" pronounce your name because all
speechways are unique and difficult to change. If you want people to
properly pronounce it every time, you will have to individually educate each
foreigner - and not always with success.

Best,

Dzhush VILson
Asst. Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor-in-Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
www.sras.org
jwilson at sras.org