Russian/East/Central European postcolonial literature

Furman, Yelena yfurman at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Fri May 18 19:42:20 UTC 2007

Dear all,
This may be a somewhat unusual question, but I'll try anyway.  I have been asked for recommendations of texts by contemporary Russian writers who deal with the issue of post-colonialism (defined loosely, given that it's a very different historical situation).  Since the person who asked me doesn't read Russian, these would have to be in English translation.   Perhaps there are also writers from East/Central Europe, or Central Asia, who deal with the issue of Russian (Soviet) 'colonialism'?
I freely admit that I know virtually nothing about the topic, so any suggestions for readings would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Yelena Furman
Department of Literature, UCSD