New idiocy in student visa procedures

Dustin Hosseini iamlearningenglish at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 18 23:09:04 UTC 2007

Well, what should we have expected?

What did Chernomyrdin say?  We tried to make things better, but things
remained the same anyway...

As far as tourism, it's amazing how other European cities all around Russia
are so well-developed in terms of providing low-cost accomodations for
students and travelers (hostels) but they only recently appeared in Moscow
and comparably are quite expensive.  There aren't discounts for students in
Russia either, unless you have a Russian-issued studencheskiy bilet.  The
ISIC is widely unrecognized here.  Foreigners still have to pay more at most
museums and of course the Kremlin...  All foreigners are rich, as we all
know.

Moscow doesn't need tourism.  Lots of locals have told me this.  "We don't
want to become like Turkey, where they live off tourism..." is what I've
heard a number of times.

Russia's black gold is an endless supply...never to run dry.