the Platonov question

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon May 21 10:59:47 UTC 2007

Thanks very much! But I need to say a few things:

'For you it's (just) a job' is fine, and I may use it - but the original is
not simply 'natural conversation'.  Platonov's 'a ya chuvstvuyu' (with no
object' is clumsy and touching (as someone has already said).  And it has
many possible meanings -  touch, emotional feeling, and (perhaps) Platonov
talking about his own self.

'I work by feeling' is also ambiguous and has a certain resonance, so I am
happy with that part of my tr.  I am MUCH LESS HAPPY about the first part.
It is certainly possible that 'you go through the motions' is what 'khodite'
means here, but I'm really not sure.  And I would rather be not be so much
more explicit than Platonov himself!

Best Wishes to all,

R.