Platonov question

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Mon May 21 11:44:34 UTC 2007

Could khodite here be the regular motion of just coming to work every day? Also, how about inserting a word or two after chuvstvuyu to convey meaning rather than sticking to the original syntax, thus:

  "You only work here, you show up every day, but I feel what I do."

  Just a thought to convey the speaker's main concern of contrasting the rote performance of his co-workers with his greater emotional participation.

SEELANGS automatic digest system <LISTSERV at BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote:

Dear Robert,

I think that the your rendering of the above line is not entirely
correct and looses the rhythmical pattern of the phrase.
I would have put it as follows:

"I'll see how it goes", Fedorov said gloomily. "You just work here,
walk around, but I live through my sensitivities".

All very best,
Sasha Smith