Dostoevsky & A. I. Selin

June Farris jpf3 at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu May 24 16:11:24 UTC 2007

Hello!

In the index to the 30-volume Academy of Sciences 1972-1990 edition, A. I.
Selin is mentioned several times, as follows:

Dostoevskii, F. M. Polnoe sobranie sochinenii v tridtsati tomakh. V. 24 =
Dnevnik pisateli za 1876 god (noiabr'- dekabr'). Leningrad: Nauka, 1982,

p.  225:
Samoubiitsy
Selin--Prachkov
The commentary is on p. 473, as follows:

Selin, Aleksandr Ivanovich (1816-1877-zasluzhenyi professor Kievskogo
universiteta po kafedre russkoi slovestnosti. V pis'me k Dostoevskomu ot 28
ianvaria 1876g. on izlozhil mysli, vyskazannye im v doktorskoi dissertatsii
("O dramticheskoi poezii v Rossii, preimushchestvenno o komedii, do
Griboedova vkliuchitel'no" 1850-1852", ne opublikovana) i sozvuchnye, po
ego mneniiu, vzgliadam pisatelia: "V odnom iz polozhenii ia govoriu, kogda
imenno ideal, dannyi russkomu obshchestvu Petrom Velikim, nachal
otzhivat'svoiu poru: ; dalee govoriu kakaia glavnaia ideia vsei russkoi
literatury posle nashestvie Napoleona...
This commentary continues on for quite a bit more, so if you'd like me to
send it to you, please let me know...

p. 227:
NB: Kstati o Seline (professore kievskom) i ego dissertatsii o tom, chto my
vstupili v sovershennuiu neizvestnost'

p. 229 (the citation you quoted in your note to SEELANGS). Note that
although it is under the heading "Sostav avgustovskogo", it is in the
November-December 1876 section.
The commentary to this quote is on p. 476, which  identifies it as being
from the end of chapter 25 of Herzen's "Byloe i dumy".  The commentary does
not mention Selin.

p. 236-37:
entry entitled "K Selinu" and is a fairly lengthy paragraph, which I can
copy and send to you, if you like.

There are several more references to Selin in the Nov-December 1876 section
of Dnevnik pisatelia.

If you would like a photocopy of any of these entries, please send me your
mailing address.

Regards,
June Farris

At 05:01 PM 5/22/2007, =?GB2312?Q?Liv_Bliss?= wrote:
>I wonder if someone far better informed than I can help me with this.
>
>In his notes for Writer's Diary (for August 1876), Dostoevsky wrote the
>following memo to himself: "§£§Ù§ñ§ä§î §Ú§Ù §¤§Ö§â§è§Ö§ß§Ñ, §Ú§Ù
>'§³§ä§Ñ§ß§Ü§Ö§Ó§Ú§é§Ñ §Ü§â§å§Ô§Ñ' §Õ§Ý§ñ
>§Ó§à§Ù§â§Ñ§Ø§Ö§ß§î§ñ §³§Ö§Ý§Ú§ß§å" [Vzyat' iz Gertsena, iz 'Stankevicha
>kruga' dlya
>vozrazhen'ya Selinu].
>
>"Selin" has me stumped: who on earth was that? (Obviously not Louis-
>Ferdinand Destouches-C¨¦line, who wasn't even born until 1894, but that's
>where the trail went cold for me.)
>
>I would vastly appreciate any clues that anyone can offer.
>
>Best to all
>Liv
>
>***************
>Liv Bliss
>ATA Certified Russian to English Translator
>tel.: (928) 367-1615
>fax: (928) 367-1950
>email: bliss @ wmonline.com
>
>Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
>for you are crunchy and good with ketchup -- Anon.

June Pachuta Farris
Bibliographer for Slavic, East
European and Eurasian Studies and
Bibliographer for General Linguistics