Rossica translation prize

Furman, Yelena yfurman at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Fri May 25 19:02:00 UTC 2007

Congratulations to all!
Best, YF

________________________________

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of Robert Chandler
Sent: Thu 5/24/2007 10:21 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Rossica translation prize

Dear all,

Just to say 2 things:

1) Last night, here in London, Joanne Turnbull was awarded the Rossica
Translation Prize (it is quite a new prize, this is only the second year it
has been running) for her translation of Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky, Seven
Stories, published by GLAS.  Krzh. is a great writer, and Joanne¹s
translation is outstanding.  If you want to know more, please read my review
in SEEJ, Winter 2006!

2) I received a OESpecial Commendation¹ both for my translation of Hamid
Ismailov¹s The Railway, published by Harvill Secker, and for my translations
over the years.  The Railway is an exuberant and witty novel set in Central
Asia.  There is a bit about it on amazon.com, though I have just seen that
it is at present available only second hand.  A new VINTAGE edition should
be available in the UK in early July and in the USA by the end of July.

Best Wishes,

Robert