Query: history of Ukr. and Cz. orthography

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed May 30 12:50:22 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGtsy,

a colleague (in Yiddish) asks:

> Can you recommend a reading about the history of Ukrainian
> orthography, preferably in a Latin-lettered language? I want to know
> something about early 20th century debates about language
> standardization in order to compare the case with Yiddish. If you can
> happen to be able to recommend something about Czech too, I'd be much
> obliged.

Not being a linguist, I thought I'd turn to the SEELANGS hive mind for
suggestions.  Any ideas?  (By Latin-lettered language, he means English,
French, or German, but Russian would also work in a pinch.)

many thanks,
RJS