Query: history of Ukr. and Cz. orthography

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Wed May 30 13:54:17 UTC 2007

Rebecca Jane Stanton wrote:
> Dear SEELANGtsy,
>
> a colleague (in Yiddish) asks:
>
>> Can you recommend a reading about the history of Ukrainian
>> orthography, preferably in a Latin-lettered language? I want to know
>> something about early 20th century debates about language
>> standardization in order to compare the case with Yiddish. If you can
>> happen to be able to recommend something about Czech too, I'd be much
>> obliged.

If your colleague can find someone to translate a few pages of Czech
(also a Latin-lettered language!), there is relevant information on both
Ukrainian and Czech, as well as the other Slavic languages, in
_Slovanske spisovne jazyky v dobe pritomne_ (diacritics omitted), edited
by Milos Weingart (Prague: Melantrich, 1937). If Polish is of any
interest, there's also a paper of mine, “Spelling and Society: the
Polish Orthographic Controversy of the 1930's,” in _Papers in Slavic
Philology_ 1, ed. Benjamin A. Stolz (Ann Arbor: Michigan Slavic
Publications, 1977), pp. 225-36.

Bob Rothstein