Baklava

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at ILOS.UIO.NO
Tue Nov 20 08:10:03 UTC 2007

Genevra Gerhart wrote:
> Over fifty years ago, my Russian landlady in Paris served me a dessert which
> she said was very popular and came from the eastern Mediterranean.
> Table discussion tonight  was whether baklava or pakhlava was from Greece,
> Turkey, Azerbaidzhan, etc.  None of my dictionaries was any help whatsoever.
> Help!
> Genevra Gerhart

According to Hasan Eren, Türk Dilinin Etimolojik Sözlüğü,  Ankara 1999,
its etymology is not too clear, but it could be some kind of
contamination of _bakla_ 'broad bean' (from Arabic) and _oklava_
'rolling pin' and has spread from Turkish to South Slavonic, Romanian,
Armenian, Greek and Arabic.

You get the best baklava (my opinion, but I am sure Eren would agree) in
Gaziantep, where they make it with honey and pistachios instead of sugar
syrup and hazelnuts.

--
--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo
--- tel. +47/22856710, fax +1/5084372444