Double fees / standard rates for written translation

Vera Beljakova atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Tue Nov 27 06:57:34 UTC 2007

Some of us charge or are offered double fees (100% extra)
if we get out the urgent documents overnight, or within 24 hours or within 12 hours, or meet very tight deadlines  - that, of course, is for contracts,
technical papers or certificates that are urgently needed.

Although I am far from a full time translators (it's a sideline), I do have clients who sometimes sit in my dining room while I knock out their urgent work in my home office.

Now, how about payment methods ?
If the client is a blue chip company, national, international - I send through an account; sometimes I ask to be paid on delivery; if the client is "off the street" - an unknown to me, small company or private person - I ask to be paid up front.  If the job is vast, I ask for 50% upfront as a deposit.  But one can only do these things if one has a 'name' or a good reputation for reliability/availability/standards in the market place, which I do in Johannesburg. So, it helps to gain a good repuation before upping the prices.

Hope that helps.

Vera Beljakova

 ----- Original Message ------
 From:Paul B. Gallagher
 Sent:Monday, November 26, 2007 22:54
 To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU;
 Subject:Re: [SEELANGS] standard rates for written translation

 P.S. I would also add that when negotiating, there are three fundamental
factors to consider: quality, speed, and price. The client can have his
way on any two, but in that case, I need to have my way on the third. So
for example, if he needs high quality at a low price, I need to have
plenty of time. You should never accept a deal where the client has his
way on all three.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: