standard rates for written translation

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Wed Nov 28 06:54:04 UTC 2007

Could be, I've not had experience in editing or closely analyzing literary
translations.

However, there is inconsistency in the terminology being used in this
conversation. Some folks are speaking about characters, others about words.
These are two very different things.

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Robert Chandler
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:30 AM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] standard rates for written translation

Dear Josh (and all)

What you say here is very interesting:
>  However, nearly every
> English translation (working mostly with business news articles) I've seen
> has been shorter than the Russian original in both terms of bulk and
> characters.

There is obviously a greater difference than I had realized between
different styles of writing.  I have NEVER seen a literary translation into
English that has not been 10 to 25 % longer than the original, at least in
terms of word count.

R.