SEELANGS Digest - 27 Nov 2007 to 28 Nov 2007 - Special issue (#2007-273)

Will Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Nov 29 09:44:33 UTC 2007

Olga Yokoyama is absolutely right. To ignore so-called crutch words (for
British English I would add 'basicly' as very common) is to ignore the
totality of discourse and register, which, in spoken language also
includes facial expression and bodily gestures. I have been been an
interpreter in several situations where the choice of words, pauses,
hesitations, 'crutch' words, and facial expression or hand gestures have
indicated that the speaker wished to be understood ironically or
humorously, or wished to be convey that his real feelings were not those
that would appear in the official written record of the meeting. I was
astonished, many years ago, to hear in a lecture about the art of
interpreting, by a professional UN interpreter, that the proper way to
do 'unbiased' interpreting was to sit in a dark room wearing a headset,
without sight of the speaker. I don't know how she dealt with the famous
incident of Khrushchev's shoe.
Will Ryan